Saturday 28 May 2011

Sentry Duty


Photobucket

Sentry Duty

Straight back, eyes front,
you know the drill.
Watch for enemies while
the boys sleep
in burrowed barracks.
Scan the shimmering skyline,
swivelling on the spot.
Royal Meerkat Regiment.

But I’m skilled, sleek, quick,
equipped and ready to take it
to snakes that invade
hard earned territory, which
many died gloriously to gain.
Desert warfare.

I’m on watch,
beta squad.
The routine is as endless
as the stretching sands
but my hands are tied
the position. I want missions,
the thrill of the attack,
to die in combat.
Coupe de grace.

Rations offer worm
and grasshopper,
a delicacy round here.
Brown and tan camo
are the colours of my clan
but out here there’s no medals
just sand and pebbles.
Trooping the colours.

To elude leopards and lions,
keep eyes on the horizon
and if you see one, call out,
then retreat, admit defeat,
until morning.
Tactical withdrawal.


No comments:

Post a Comment