Sunday 18 March 2012

What Really Grinds My Gears #1

So I thought I'd start a new section to have a bit of a moan. 'Nooooo' I hear some of shout, how will I cope without Tom's Guide To Life? Well friends, fear not, there is more to come and now I am bereft of gainful employment and I will be blogging a lot more regularly.

So, do you know really grinds my gears?

Photobucket

"There's a bit of a spill under the tables"

Kids leaving a mess in a restaurant.

Chances are a lot of you will have experienced this in some way or another. You may be an overworked, underpayed and undervalued member of a workplace or maybe you are a guilty parent who, since having children, seem to have forgotten all kind of social decency in a public place.

Ok, here's the scenario. You've been serving a table with a load of kids, not particularly interested in the sub-par food you dish out (they're more interested in the delicious red crayon) and when they leave, under the table looks like an explosion in Tracey Emin's bedroom!

Fair one, kids are messy. Kids make a mess. I don't mind if the kid drops a few napkins on the floor or spills a drink. I can deal with that. But when the parents have quite happily sat around while the kid tries to get spaghetti on the ceiling, then I think they should clean it up.

Photobucket
Look at this disgusting child... They know exactly what they're doing


"Excuse me, I'm paying to eat in your fine establishment, why should I have to clean up after my children?"

Not being funny, but as I said, I can deal with mess. This is different. You wouldn't leave your house like that. I'm being paid to wait tables and clean up, not redecorate the place after a kid thought it would be funny to varnish a table in ketchup.

There's more to it than this as well. So, we've established there's a mess. You know it's a mess, the parents know it's a mess (they were too busy trying to forget about their noisy child, silently resenting each other for the position they've put themselves in).

The parents can either ignore it or acknowledge the mess. I don't even mind about the ones that sneak off and leave it. I hate the ones who say, "I'm sorry, there's a bit of a mess under the table."

That's not a bit of a mess. That's fucking disgusting. Should parents be encouraged to clean up after their kids? Or better still, teach them some table manners so they don't helicopter a load of scrambled eggs all over the place.

What's the verdict? Should parents tidy up or not? Am I being fair or sound like a horrid, old tosser?

(This could be Radio 2 midday phone in).

1 comment:

  1. Tom...I think you need to borrow some kids to make this a fair moan:) I tidy up if the service has been good, like a good-will tip. If the service is extra-shoddy I may even leave a nappy on the table too:)

    ReplyDelete